Samuels Miller is one of Decatur’s largest and Central Illinois’ most respected law firms. Our firm originated in a second floor office on Merchant Street with the solo practice of C. C. LeForgee (b.1867, d.1951), who started practicing law in 1888. As Mr. LeForgee added partners, our name lengthened and changed. Today, our name reflects only five of the many outstanding attorneys who have been members of our firm during the past 120-plus years:
Thomas W. Samuels (b.1886, d.1989), who joined Mr. LeForgee in 1914 and was active in the firm until he died at age 103;
Carl R. Miller (b.1904, d.1986), whose firm combined with the LeForgee firm in 1950;
E. Wayne Schroeder (b.1915, d.2009), who joined the firm in 1938;
Jerald E. Jackson, (b. 1922) who joined the firm in 1950 and is now “of counsel” to the firm; and
Thomas S. Sly (b.1920, d.2002), who joined the firm in 1953.
In 1985, we opened our branch office in Arthur, Illinois. After occupying offices in the former Citizens Bank Building for 90 years, our firm moved in 1999 to its current location on the third floor of the DemirCo Place Building at 225 North Water Street, Decatur, Illinois.